Grants and Cooperative Agreements are governed by the Office of Management & Budget (OMB), Uniform Guidance. In December of 2014, the Uniform Guidance became effective as a combination of 8 different OMB circulars, eliminating conflicting and duplicative guidance, and setting consistent regulations. What this means to UCSB:
When does the Uniform Guidance go in affect for Procurement activities?
While the Procurement principles in the Uniform Guidance were provided a grace period for campus adoption, UCSB has opted to go live with the Uniform Guidance in December, 2014. UCSB was already using most of the OMB requirements, and only needed to adopt a few slight changes.
Can I use state or UC contracts to purchase in lieu of competition with my Federal Award?
Section 200.318 (e) encourages the University to spend using state and locally sourced Agreements:
"To foster greater economy and efficiency, and in accordance with efforts to promote cost-effective use of shared services across the Federal Government, the non-Federal entity is encouraged to enter into state and local intergovernmental agreements or inter-entity agreements where appropriate for procurement or use of common or shared goods and services."
Where can I find more information about the Uniform Guidance?
Which circulars are now eliminated?
- A-21 Cost Principles for Educational Institutions
- A-50 Audit Follow-up
- A-87 Cost Principles for State, Local and Indian Tribal Governments
- A-89 Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
- A-102 Grants and Cooperative Agreements With State and Local Governments
- A-110 Uniform Administrative Requirement for Grants and Other Agreements with Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals and Other Non-Profit Organizations
- A-122 Cost Principles for Non-Profit Organizations
- A-133 Audits of States, Local Governments and Non-Profit Organizations