The below table can help your department determine if a Purchase Order in Gateway or Miscellaneous Direct Payment Request Form is required.

Note: Reimbursements to University employees for purchases of goods (e.g. departmental supplies, etc.) are discouraged as there are other options for making such purchases, including the FlexCard. An employee may not be reimbursed for payments to third parties for services, except for expenses incurred in connection with business travel and entertainment.

Category Purchase Order in Gateway? Authorization Details Policy Links
Computers and Related Equipment Yes    
Conference Registration Fees No Approval as required by campus policy (department may approve if no policy to the contrary). Payment is processed through Concur  
Construction, Repair, or Architects No Approval by campus architects and engineers office or physical plant department, - processed through Design & Construction  
Entertainment No Approval of expenditures must be in accordance with BFB-BUS-79, Entertainment BFB-BUS-79
Equipment (either Inventorial or Non-Inventorial) Yes    
Performing Artists or Speakers Yes If an employee-vendor relationship exists, a special report must also be prepared (see BFB-BUS-43, Material Management) BFB-BUS-43
Honoraria No Approval of the Chancellor or Vice President, or by a person who has been delegated such authority. (See AM-D371-35, Honorarium Payments) AM-D371-35
Human subjects for experiments Yes Approval of department, as regulated by materiel manager. If grant or contract, also review terms of award for additional required approval  
Independent contractors or Sole Proprietors Yes Approval in accordance with AB5 – Labor Law governing Independent Contractors. Submit a request through HR's ServiceNow system: AB5/2257
Memberships No Approval of expenditures must be in accordance with BFB-G-43, Policy on University Membership in Organizations - BFB-G-43
Petty cash reimbursements No Approval as required by campus purchasing/business officers and the internal control standards set forth in AM-C173-61, Cash: Petty Cash Disbursements AM-C173-61
Phone services (including cell) No Approval by either campus telephone officer or by individual department (if service is billed directly to department)  
Reimbursement to employees for supplies purchased No    
Removals/Personal Moving No Approval for moving and relocation expenses must be in accordance with BFB-G-13, Policy and Regulations Governing Moving and Relocation, and are not processed through Gateway BFB-G-13
Rental or lease of personal property or real property Yes    
Service contracts, including repair and maintenance Yes    
Supplies Yes    
Travel No Expenditures must be in accordance with BFB-G-28, Policy and Regulations Governing Travel BFB-G-28
Tuition for courses taken by staff personnel No Approval as required by campus policy. Payment is accounted for by Travel Expense Voucher (for courses involving travel) or by Miscellaneous Direct Payment Request (or equivalent) and must be in accordance with AM-T182-77 Taxes: Taxation of Scholarship and Fellowship Grants and Educational Assistance (see also Personnel Policies for Staff Members 51) AM-T182-77
Utilities (Electricity, gas, water, etc.) No Approval of physical plant department, or by individual department if service is off-campus and billed directly to the department.