When traveling on official business, UC faculty and staff are covered under the UC Business Travel Accident Insurance Program. UC students traveling to UC-sponsored activities are covered under the UC Student Off-Campus Travel Insurance Program. Following are important insurance considerations:

  • Travel outside California - Requires travel registration through the UC Away travel registration system. Travel registration is not required when making reservations through Connexxus since the travel data is transferred automatically.
  • Vehicle rentals - When renting vehicles from a university-contracted vendor, you are generally covered for Liability and Loss Damage Waiver (i.e., in the Continental United States). If insurance is included, decline these overages when signing the agreement because they are not reimbursable.
  • Medical coverage - Travelers covered by a UC insurance plan will be covered by that plan while traveling in the U.S. For travel outside the U.S., both the Employee and Student Travel Insurance Policies include an out-of-country medical benefit. This benefit works on a reimbursement basis. Travelers must pay for care and then submit a claim for reimbursement consideration.
  • Non-medical benefits - include trip cancellation/interruption and luggage and personal property loss; replacement is at current value and is subject to a deductible.

More information, including coverage details, frequently asked questions, and claims guidance is available at the UCOP Travel Risk and Insurance website.