Before processing any entertainment expense, make sure that the expense is:

  • reimbursable
  • appropriate

In addition, make sure that you have approval to process the expense.

The steps below are for entertainment expenses that have been deemed necessary for your department. In general, most entertainment expenses are paid after an event has taken place. An exception is room/catering deposits required up front by the vendor.

1. Gather Receipts and other Supporting Documentation

Original, itemized receipts for expenses over $75 are required in order to receive reimbursement for entertainment expenses. The receipts must identify both food and beverage charges. If you are missing receipts, please see the "How to Work with Missing Receipts" Knowledge Base article.

2. Determine if Expense is Primarily Business, Recruitment, or Social

When processing an entertainment expense, determine its purpose:

  • Business expenses are directly related to, or associated with, official UC Santa Barbara business (e.g., business meeting held over dinner with visiting international professors)
  • Recruitment expenses are related to official academic recruitment efforts (e.g., recruitment for a new assistant professor).
  • Social expenses are marked by pleasant companionship with one's friends or associates (e.g., welcome reception for incoming graduate students)

Be sure you are aware of any restrictions on the fund source you are using. Although the expense may be allowable under university policy, it may not be allowed on the specific fund.

3.  Complete an Expense Report in Concur

Refer to the "How to Create an Expense Report from an Approved Request" Knowledge Base article for a guide on how to do this.

Please note that you will be required to fill in the Host Name box if you are using any of the entertainment expense types.