In accordance with the provisions of University of California Business and Finance Bulletin BUS-38, Disposition of Excess Property and Transfer of University-Owned Equipment, the disposal (including via transfer) of all inventorial equipment must be reported promptly and accurately, using the appropriate form and method.

Disposals fall into four broad “categories”:

  1. Direct Disposal by Departments, of assets that have been:
    1. Traded In
    2. Cannibalized for Parts
    3. Destroyed
    4. Lost
    5. Stolen
    6. Sold (in coordination with Central Stores)
  2. Transfers to Other Institutions (i.e., PI Transfers)
  3. Surplus Disposal via transfer to Central Stores, of excess, obsolete or scrap assets that ultimately are:
    1. Sold
    2. Destroyed or Trashed
  4. Donations